I would also like to have the ability to color the cells themselves. As I work a lot with longer tables normally I use (right now in OneNote) both methods: cell coloring for headlines and highlighted text for displaying text where bold/italic etc. is not enough or just not separable enough.
A quick example: comparing items of three companies. Red = highest price, yellow = mid price, green = lowest price. I normally would color the cells of company 1 to 3 as a headline and highlight the text depending on the code: cheapest/mid/highest. I do not color the text itself because of bad reading contrast.
company 1 company 2 company 3 item 1 12$ (green) 24$(red) 15$ (yellow) item 2 15$ (yellow) 14$ (green) 18$ (red)
Color coded in that way you can often see quickly which company is the cheapest. I hope this little demonstration is able to convince you guys to put it in one of the next updates.
May 09, 2017 09:35PM PDT
OUTLINE Helping Hand
Sorry for delay with my reply!
During the next couple of months we'll be working on couple of new features and improvements (export / import to PDF). At the moment I don't have any information on the new edit functions for tables in Outline. The only improvement for the tables if the same "Export to PDF": once we finish, the tables will export correctly, without the app cutting them in random places.
I will ask the devs if we can include some new tables edit options to the next release plan. Stay tuned!
thanks for you reply. I am always amused to hear about "new fantastic features" as log as "basic features" aren't implemented. I'd like to say: first steps first - and first step for me is:
1. Editing. This means to me gathering informations, the keyboard is not the only input device, there is the internet, from marking text and right-click it to send it to outline or copy whole websites, scanning documents and so on. And I talking about text, pictures, charts, music files, videos... - and, of course tables :-). Basic spreadsheet functionality would also be nice (add, multiply, sum numbers). And you can bet your life on formatting all that stuff.
2. "Do something" with a note: well, printing to paper, print it to a file, email it, store it online (for example dropbox, icloud...)
3. Security. Have the possibility to hide and/or encrypt notes or whole directories with their subdirectories.
4. After that basics (and that's just a quick brainstorming) you can think about "new fantastic features".
I surely will stay tuned. i like the program but missing some "basic features" to work seriously with.
May 18, 2017 10:45PM PDT
OUTLINE Helping Hand
Thank you so much for your comment. I'm copying it to my 'user feedback' subpage of feature requests :)
2. We actually have PDF for exporting notes: you can print them right after export and you can send them with email from inside the app. Additionally we're finishing the "publish pages" feature. Once we release it, you'll be able to generate the PDF of your page, this PDF will be uploaded automatically to your Dropbox and you'll get the link to it right from inside Outline.
3. We have current password protection feature. Have you tried it? Or is it about some additional file encryption?
I would like to see background cell colouring as well. The very first thing you do when you create a table is to start with a title / heading row don't you ? And you want that to stand out a bit so give that row a light-grey background color. Sometimes I have the same requirement for a column. We really do not this very common feature.